Friday, January 18, 2008

STRAIGHT TALK ON CAREGIVING AND SELF-CARE

No one ever taught me how to be a caregiver... I responded from my heart when my husband became ill and it served me well while he was hospitalized. The same response almost killed me when I returned home and spent the next five years helping him regain his strength and his life.

When people used to tell me to "take care of myself," I dismissed the thought. However, it is the best piece of advice I can offer in regards to caregiving. If you are willing and ready to place yourself first, then join me as we explore tactical methods of caregiving and self-care in the midst of one of life's greatest challenges. If you are not willing or ready to place yourself first, you have two choices:
  • join me to learn about the price you will pay; or
  • ignore this plea for your health and life and pay the price.
There really is no other choice. Know that I understand your decision. I've been there and made both choices, and paid the price for both choices. I make no judgment. Just remember, there are no "free lunches" in this life...

On this blog, we will explore recent medical advances, terminology, resources, legal information and coping strategies. Let's engage in dialog around what we know about caregiving. Whether your perspective is as a:
  • paid professional;
  • volunteer;
  • loving family member;
  • friend;- newcomer; or
  • long time provider,
we have all adopted coping strategies" to assist us, some productive and some destructive. Understand that what we "know to do" at a "head" level often does not translate into action when it involves ourselves and those about whom we care. This is especially true for professionals who make their living giving care and then fail to care for themselves and apply what they know when the crisis comes home.

You are wise about what works for you in life. Share your wisdom with all of us as we struggle to hold onto ourselves while holding another in sickness and/or injury.

No comments: