Wednesday, January 30, 2008

THE DISEASE CALLED DENIAL

On Monday, I returned home from doing three book signings and a conference in Orlando, Florida. One of my book signings was in a Barnes & Noble where, over the course of two hours, I watched this scenario play out over and over again –
  • consumer walks in door
  • consumer sees table and poster announcing book signing
  • consumer reads title of book, Hospital Stay Handbook
  • consumer quickly looks away and make a beeline anywhere other than to my table.
This confirms what I discuss in my book, our culture is BIG TIME illness and death adverse. The only people who have engaged me in discussion over the last two years have been folks who have experienced a hospital stay. They want to know:
  • did I do right by my patient?
  • what else could I have done to support their health?
  • what could I have done to keep myself together?
and they want to share space and understanding with someone who has been through the same challenges.

The problem with this approach is that there are many things that can and should be done PRIOR to any hospitalization! And, if you wait to learn about these things at the time hospitalization occurs, not only may it be too late but you, as an advocate, may not be in a calm place emotionally, due to the stress of caring for someone you love. Delaying "enlightenment" is typically not in anyone's best interest.

So, if you have not learned about what to expect during a hospitalization, do so now. Hospital Stay Handbook is a good place to start. If you have not taken the actions you need to take to protect yourself and your loved ones, do so now. Maintaining your equilibrium during hospitalization is much easier if you are prepared. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor, GET READY NOW! Don't perpetuate "the disease called denial..."

No comments: